Song Notes: Instrumental

UNTITLED INSTRUMENTAL
(download)

Scott:  I have it in my notes as "Intro".  Amy might have had a title for this song, but I don't think it was ever spoken.  After learning the three songs I had when we started the band, I began asking Amy and Deron if they had any song ideas.  After a time, Amy brought in this one.  It sounded so much more advanced than anything I would have come up with.  Deron and I thought it was so good that we didn't want to ruin it.  I carefully came up with parts that I hoped would not detract from what was already a complete song, as far as we were concerned.  I thought that this song made all of the other songs - and our band - sound more legitimate.



Amy:  I actually never came up with a title.  The keyboard patch here was the same forlorn one as on “Peacemaker” and “Stress,” but the use of chords rather than single-note melodies brought the timbre to its fruition.  Listening to the song now, I can hear how much the bass line I wrote was influenced by Scott’s bass playing at the time, with its stoic militarism.  The first time I heard it on bass instead of keyboard confirmed my suspicion that it would sound perfect: I was absolutely delighted.  But it didn’t end there.  The guitar line that Scott wrote, coupled with Deron’s guitar timbre, gave the song a much-needed edge.  I love how its appearance in the second verse begins in unison with the bass, then branches out into its own form of commentary that becomes a full-fledged statement in a chorus that sorely needed one.   

“Untitled” also marks the first time that I ever presented any of my songs for others to hear or realize.  If it hadn’t been such a “safe” and encouraging experience, who knows if I would have continued in other bands… 


Deron:  Scott and I were excited not only to have Amy write a song, but were impressed by the composed quality.

Thanks to Scott for coming up with a part for me. Between shyness and inability, I don't think I wrote a single note of any of the songs. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the song.

    I'd like to point out that the illustrative images on this page lack megapixels and don't seem to be of digital origin.

    ReplyDelete