Band Name

Scott:  The name of the band was a direct reference to the character of Edward Blake from Alan Moore's Watchmen.  Part of the character's symbolism resonated deeply with my personal feelings about reality at that time.  Calling the band The Comedian was me saying, "Life is a joke and not the funny kind", which I had come to believe to no small degree.  I also liked that the band name was singular and had a gender, but it was the band's name, not my stage name or anything like that.


Deron:  At the time I was only vaguely aware that The Comedian was a reference to a comic book. Years later when I read The Watchmen, it all made much more sense.

Amy:  I was not aware of the comic book reference, but I loved its irony: comedians often draw from a well of despair to elicit laughs, and we drank deeply from that well. The laughter was that dry, speechless guffaw or gasp in the face of something over-the-top (like the southern pride of the original "Sweet Home Alabama" or the crushing violence of "Song for Deadman"). In retrospect, the gender neutrality and one person-one band equivalence of our name goes to show that our intuition was quite sound…something that has proved easy to lose touch with in the face of adult pressures and obligations (at least for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment